The last Grand Prix Gold tournament of this season, Shaheed Dr. KL Garg, Syed Modi India Grand Prix Gold 2012 was held from December 18th to 23rd. The home player Kashyap Parupalli (ARC10) captured his first Grand Prix Gold title at the tournament.
In the final of men’s singles, No.2 seed Kashyap faced Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk of Thailand. It was a tight match and took 1 hour 11minutes for Kashyap to win the championship. He played persistently and kept calm even when the opponent was leading. In the decider, Kashyap showed spirited performance to deny the Thai player’s lead to close the set by 21-17. The final score was 21-19, 14-21, 21-17 and Kashyap finally achieved to win the title at home.
In the women’s singles, the next generation players fought bravely to win. No.2 seed Sindhu P. V. (NR700RP), who is still 17 years old, advanced to the final. She faced Lindaweni Fanetri (NS7000) of Indonesia, and 23-year-old Lindaweni won the close match by 21-15, 18-21, 21-18. As with Kashyap, Sindhu responded to expectations with her brilliant performance at home. And Lindaweni achieved to bring the big title to Indonesia. We believe the hopes will show more exciting play in the next season!
1. Kashyap Parupalli (ARC10)(IND)
2. Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk (THA)
1. Lindaweni Fanetri (NS7000)(INA)
2. Sindhu P. V. (NR700RP)(IND)
1. Sung Hyun Ko / Yong Dae Lee (KOR)
2. Ji Wook Kang / Sang Joon Lee (KOR)
1. Savitree Amitrapai (AT900P) / Sapsiree Taerattanachai (VTZF)(THA)
2. Komala Dewi (NS9900) / Jenna Gozali (NS9900)(INA)
1. Fran Kurniawan (NR700RP) / Shendy Puspa Irawati (NR700RP)(INA)
2. Nipitphon Puangpuapech (VT80) / Savitree Amitrapai (AT900P)(THA)
*Kashyap’s image is from YONEX-SUNRISE India Open 2012, Superseries.